6 plum tomatoes
2 Jalapeno peppers
3-5 cloves of garlic (unpeeled!)
1 medium-large white onion
1 tbs Coriander seeds
1 tsp Cumin
1 tbs Oregano
- Preheat broiler and line a sheet pan with foil.
- Slice onion, tomatoes, and jalapeños in half lengthwise. Remove jalapeño seeds if you prefer a milder salsa.
- Place onion, tomatoes, and jalapeños cut side down on the sheet pan along with whole unpeeled cloves of garlic. Roast until the veggies char (about 15-20 minutes). Remove garlic halfway through so it doest burn.
- While veggies are roasting, add spices to a pan on medium heat and toast until fragrant. Grind in a spice grinder and set aside.
- Remove veggies from the oven. Place jalapeños in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap (this aids in removing the charred skin). Meanwhile peel your roasted garlic.
- Once slightly cooled, peel skin from jalapeños and add to the food processor along with tomatoes, onion and garlic.
- Pulse until roughly chopped.
- Add a handful of fresh cilantro (stems and all!), your spice blend, and a drizzle of oil.
- Pulse until cilantro is incorporated and your salsa has reached your desired consistency.
- Add juice of 1 lime and a pinch of kosher salt to taste!