1 cup herb leaves (basil, mint, rosemary, sage)
1 cup fresh lemon juice (about 9 small or 7 large lemons)
1 inch fresh ginger, grated
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 sticks butter
4 cups strawberries
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tbs confectioners sugar
- Zest lemons and grate ginger right into pan. Always zest citrus directly into the pan or bowl you’re using. Oils get released while zesting and you want to capture as much of that as possible.
- Gather herbs of choice
- Tie herbs into cheese cloth so they can infuse into the lemon and be easily removed
- Juice lemons and add to pan with zest and herbs
- Simmer for about 15-20 minutes until herbs have infused (you can add a little water if mixture starts to reduce too much)
- Remove herbs and add 1/4 cup brown sugar and whisk until dissolved, keep on low simmer as you complete the next steps
- Combine 1/4 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, eggs, 1 tsp vanilla extract and whisk well to combine
- Slowly add about 1/2 of the hot lemon mixture to eggs while constantly whisking to temper the egg mixture.
- Return remaining lemon mixture to medium heat and slowly add tempered egg mixture to pan while whisking constantly to ensure you don’t get scrambled eggs
- Whisk constantly over medium heat until it becomes thick and creamy and can hold the shape of the whisk. The sugar and the acid from the lemon, along with the constant whisking slows the cooking process so you can create a creamy curd as opposed to clumpy scrambled eggs.
- Add cooked curd to blender
- Cut butter into cubes
- On high speed add butter one piece at a time until combined. The eggs work as an emulsifying agent to combine the lemon juice and the butter.
- Refrigerate lemon curd for at least 2 hours before serving
- Remove stem from strawberries and wash
- Slice strawberries and add to pan with some sliced basil/mint
- Cook down until it has created a thick sauce. The natural pectin in the strawberries will work the thicken the mixture.
- Combine heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla in stand mixture and beat until light and fluffy
- After lemon curd has chilled spoon into bowls and top with strawberries, whipped cream, and basil for garnish
** This recipe also works well as a pie, just pour curd into a graham cracker crust and chill then top with strawberries and whipped cream when serving