Blueberry Prosciutto Pizza Recipe
I’ve always had the same reaction when serving this pizza. People hear “blueberry” and “pizza” and either roll their eyes in disgust or tune me out all together. But once they take a bite, their face lights up! Not only surprised it doesn’t taste like shit, but shocked how well the sweet berries complement the salty prosciutto, creamy mozzarella and crispy crust. Try adding sweetness to savory dishes, and try this blueberry pizza!
Makes one medium sized pizza
1 cup blueberries
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
juice + zest from 1 lemon
8 oz fresh mozzarella cheese
1/4 lb prosciutto
3 tbs butter
1-2 tbs chopped rosemary
12 oz pizza dough (for the highest quality with minimal headache ask your favorite pizza place if you can buy some dough)
- Cook down blueberries, balsamic, lemon juice and zest in small sauce pan on med/low heat until blueberries are fully broken down and liquid has reduced. The natural pectin present in blueberries will thicken the compote and make it a jam consistency.
- Make brown butter by placing butter and rosemary in skillet on medium heat. Remove once butter starts to turn golden brown.
- Slice mozzarella into thin slices and julienne the prosciutto
- Preheat oven to 450
- Preheat pizza stone in hot oven
- Roll or spread out pizza dough to a circle about 14×14 inches
- Sprinkle preheated pizza stone with cornmeal and place flattened dough on top
- Spread brown butter on dough, layer prosciutto and mozzarella, and distribute blueberry compote
- Cook until mozzarella is golden and bubbly and bottom of pizza is golden brown
- Finish with fresh lemon zest and cracked pepper (this is a key step!)
- Enjoy and be surprised!
*If you don’t have a pizza stone a large preheated baking sheet will get the job done.